Dwight Davis is a senior partner in the Litigation Practice Group at King & Spalding. He is one of the nation’s leading authorities in consumer class actions with particular emphasis in suits involving the automotive, pharmaceutical and healthcare industries. In 2010, the firm’s Consumer Class Action Group, which Mr. Davis helped form, was honored as one of the five top class action practices in the country by Law360.
In addition to his class action expertise, Mr. Davis has litigation and trial experience in a wide range of civil matters including insurance coverage, RICO, securities fraud, antitrust, and consumer fraud, and has more than 28 years of experience as a trial lawyer defending corporations in numerous jurisdictions across the country.
Mr. Davis is a Fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers. He is an AV rated lawyer and is listed in The Best Lawyers in America, Georgia Super Lawyers and Georgia’s Legal Elite. Mr. Davis served on the state’s Board of Natural Resources from 2009 to 2011. In 2011, he was appointed by Governor Nathan Deal to the Judicial Nomination Commission.
Examples of Mr. Davis’ Class Action Practice
• Successfully defended over seventy-five class actions.
• Tried a class action brought by Coca-Cola bottlers against The Coca-Cola Company. The defense verdict was upheld on appeal to the Third Circuit. Click here to read case.
• Successfully argued CAFA-related issues in the Third, Seventh, Eighth and Ninth Circuit Courts of Appeal.
• Successfully represented The Home Depot in over twenty class actions nationwide. Click here to read cases.
• Successfully represented a major pharmaceutical company in a case brought by the New York Attorney General and currently representing the company in consumer class actions in California, Minnesota, Illinois and Pennsylvania. Also settled multiple class actions using a creative and successful process.
• Successfully represented a Georgia laboratory in a national class action over co-payments.
• Successfully represented Caremark in a class action in Texas.
• Represented ScripSolutions in a class action involving reimbursement of pharmacies in Alabama.
• Defeated class certification in Salt Lake City and New Orleans on behalf of a breast implant manufacturer.
• Class action counsel for United Services Automobile Association (“USAA”), a financial institution and insurance carrier in San Antonio, Texas. In this role, Mr. Davis defeated class certification in Seattle, Washington; New Orleans, Louisiana; Fort Lauderdale, Florida; Tampa, Florida; and Madison County, Illinois. Click here to read case. Several of the class actions involved provider bill audits of healthcare costs.
Examples of Mr. Davis’ Other Trial and Litigation Experience
• Served as lead trial counsel in a month long trial in the Southern District of New York in which our client won $28.8 million on its claim (later remitted) and the opponent lost its $30 million claim.
• Served as lead trial counsel for Bank of America in a seven-week jury trial of one of the first sub-prime asset-backed security cases tried in the Southern District of New York.
• Won an arbitration in Chicago valued at over $150 million arising out of the sale of a business.
• Worked on several internal investigations for companies such as E.F. Hutton, Exxon Corp., and Fleet Financial Group.
• Represented General Motors and GMAC in numerous dealership termination cases across the country, including in a jury trial in the Southern District of Georgia that resulted in a defense verdict. Click here to read case. Selected by General Motors to represent it in dealer termination disputes throughout the southeast. Successfully handled over fifty such disputes as a part of GM’s bankruptcy reorganization.
• Represented American Honda Motors, Inc. in numerous dealership termination cases across the country.
• Currently represents Mahindra, an Indian automotive manufacturer, in disputes with its former U.S. distributors. Cases are being litigated in federal and state courts in Georgia, New Jersey, New York, and Florida, and the International Court of Arbitration in London.
• Represented Mitsubishi Motor Sales of America, Inc. in dealership termination cases across the country, including in a trial in federal court in Memphis, Tennessee that resulted in a defense verdict.
• Served as lead trial lawyer for a franchisor in a RICO case tried in Charleston, South Carolina.
• Served as lead litigation counsel for the Atlanta Committee for the Olympic Games.
• See representative cases attached. Click here to read cases.
Mr. Davis’ Service to the Community and Bar
In 1995, Mr. Davis was elected to the Board of Governors of the State Bar of Georgia, and served until 2002. He was selected for the Regional Leadership Institute and Leadership Georgia. In 2009, he was appointed by the Governor to serve on the Board of the Georgia Department of Natural Resources. In 2011, he was appointed to the Judicial Nomination Commission. He serves on the Board of Trustees of Mercer University and Mercer University Press. He serves on the Board of Legal Advisors to the Southeastern Legal Foundation and works with the American Diabetes Association. He frequently writes and publishes concerning class action issues. He is active in national and state political campaigns.